Every minute of server downtime can cost you serious revenue. 98% of organizations revealed that a single hour of downtime costs them over $100,000. The good news is that you can effectively prevent such losses with server monitoring software. Being a critical piece of your technical infrastructure, servers must be continuously tracked for their performance, and health.
Efficient server monitoring lets you resolve issues before they become too critical. Additionally, it also helps you take preventive measures to avoid any future issues. Read on to know about server monitoring software and its indispensable use in managing your server resources efficiently. Check out.
Why Do You Need Server Monitoring Software?
Servers are critical to most business operations, and any downtime can cause halting of critical transactions, disruption in workflows, delays in deadlines, and ultimately leading to loss of revenue. The most commonly used servers are housed in a remote location. And most cloud solutions available in the market use hybrid systems where servers are dispersed across physical locations.
Even in-house servers may not always be accessible to round-the-clock technicians on the spot. All these practicalities can make it difficult for administrators to keep track of their server resources, their status, and their health information. By employing server monitoring, you can identify potential issues and deal with them before the critical thresholds are reached.
Here are some ways server monitoring can help you:
- You can be notified of any potential issue. For instance, you can get timely alerts when the storage capacity is nearing its maximum capacity so that you can free up space.
- It can give you a consolidated overview of the entire system with the help of a unified dashboard
- You can identify performance bottlenecks and find better ways to improve your server performance
- You can track historic server performance data and make use of it to analyze any server issues.
- It helps you identify any suspicious activity and enhance your security systems
- It greatly helps improve your productivity by minimizing the need for manual monitoring and also quicken the recovery process with the monitoring data collected.
- It helps scale your operations efficiently as your network grows.
No matter the size of your organization or the scope of your operations, investing in a good server monitoring software is always a good idea. It helps prevent any potential issue blowing up into a critical showstopper problem and saves you a lot of time, energy, effort, and money.
Types Of Monitoring Tools
Depending on your server infrastructure, you may consider using:
- A locally installed monitoring software
- A remote monitoring software
If you ask us, it is best to go with a cloud-based remote monitoring software if your servers are not located in-house and are dispersed across various physical actions. This is because if the activity at your server increases, your cloud-based server monitoring tool will be able to scale up effortlessly.
What To Look For In A Good Alert Monitoring Software?
When you choose any alert software to create alerts for potential threats or issues, you will first have to consider your exact business requirements based on your end goals. This will help you make the right choice. Here are some considerations you may have to think about:
- The platform your server is running.
Server monitoring software should be able to support the OS platform your server is using.
- Virtualization requirements.
There are certain hardware and software limitations applicable with respect to virtualization. If your server uses any particular type of virtualization, the monitoring software should be able to support it.
- Database monitoring
Check if the monitoring solution can accommodate the database you are using.
- Network monitoring
Network monitoring can provide lots of insights on the type of traffic your server receives and can provide alerts on any suspicious request or hacking attempts. Check the scope of network monitoring provided by the software you use.
The added advantage of using a monitoring software is that it will provide you with tracking data on performance, resource usage, issue analysis, and more. Look for features that will let you conduct in-depth analysis related to your server operations
- Inventory monitoring and reporting
Good monitoring software should be able to provide a unified dashboard for better management of your server resources.
- Application monitoring
By monitoring the server applications, you can identify any resource threshold breaches before they happen and take a right remedial action.
- Track hardware changes
Monitoring software can also let you create alerts on hardware maintenance, track any changes to hardware, files, and configuration changes.
- IT security
Along with network monitoring, efficient server monitoring software can help you conduct forensic analysis on any issues, schedule automatic security updates, alert you on any security breach, and more.
- Ease of use
Usability is an important factor that you need to pay attention to. The reason that manual monitoring never seems to work is that there is a lot of complexity involved.
Without good software to guide you, monitoring servers can get confusing very quickly. There is no API access available for server monitoring. And there is no easy way to scale monitoring scripts to accommodate new resources readily. You need a truly effective software solution to help achieve the benefits of server monitoring.
VirtualMetric Dashboard To Help You Out
VirtualMetric is a fast-growing technology company that focuses on efficient software solutions with a simple and easy to use interface for satisfying critical business requirements. Our new offering is a server monitoring tool with an intuitive dashboard that will flawlessly fit your organization’s needs perfectly.
Here are some of the key features of the New Virtual Metric – Evolved Dashboard:
- An intuitive dashboard with easy navigation and human-centric UI. The UI is designed to provide good readability and navigation
- The dashboard works at optimal fast speed and has no lags in providing you with timely reports, alerts, and notifications on the server stats and health.
- Fully customizable reports allow you to work with reports that fit your style and thus increase productivity.
- The dashboard can be customized to include fast access to reports, tutorial videos, and track your most important metrics right from the home page.
- You can create multiple dashboards and maintain a playlist.
- Better insights into your reports can be derived by creating your own templates. You can organize reports into any required folder structure for ease of access.
- The Devices section lets you track all the hardware assets and perform in-depth analytics on your inventory.
VirtualMetric continues to evolve its product offerings to suit the needs of its users. So, the more you use this sophisticated monitoring dashboard, the more value it adds to your organization. To learn more about our product offerings and how our solutions can help you out, contact us today.